Monday, September 5, 2011

Emphasis Response


1)      In this text, my eyes go directly to the note pad opened on the cluttered table. He emphasizes this element because it is completely blank and void of clutter. While the video loaded, my eyes roamed the surrounding area and found scads of things, a lot of which I relate to (a laptop, a WSU Bookie bag, a cell phone, iPod connector, headphones, a missing iPod (which I currently am), dishwashing gloves and more). By having the rest of the space cluttered it gives emphasis to the blank notebook page, because it is void of anything; this arouses the audience’s curiosity. I think this title page is somewhat effective for me, but in other ways not. It is a great way to catch an audience’s attention, but now that I don’t get to see the rest it bothers me because I would like to see if the creator strategically placed each of these “cluttering items” in this title page and that they have their own relevance once the project continues. I guess mainly this is productive, but mainly because of the deliberate crossing out of “Digital Right Management” and replacement of “Digital Robbing MANICACS!” This is another use of emphasis, because of the large crossing out and the huge, capitalized “MANICAS!” Gives me idea about what the project is going to be about, while catching my interest.

2)      This barely two second pause places a lot of emphasis on text, because after that jumping and disjointed camera motion this complete freeze forces the viewer to pay attention to her final product. Prior to this freeze frame, I was noticing how all the other things around the notepad were moving and her writing, but this still frame is perfect to emphasize what the rest of the project is going to be about.

3)      This sound bit helps to emphasize certain moments in the clips, because it mainly seems to match the jumpiness of the film. It is not some flowing sound piece, which would completely confuse the viewers after paying attention to the disjointedness of the filming. The sound kind of matches the speed at which the woman writes. This sound clip places a particular emotional emphasis on the meaning of the word “robbing.” That is what I mainly associate with the sounds. It has ties with digital and maybe even crazy, “manic” behavior, but I think associating it with robbing was the overall goal in using this sound piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment