Monday, September 5, 2011

Proximity Response

1)      I grouped the information in two separate manners. First I grouped the title and what the novel was about together by using proximaty. This shows the little subscript is related to the title, thus giving readers an idea what they might be reading about. I also grouped “The Seagull” and “James Peach” together, because I wanted to show that there is a connection between the title and the author, obviously. I did this by using the same font style so viewers know the two are related.

2)      I Think the most important piece of information on this cover is “The Seagull.” I made the title stand out the most, because (personally) I prefer when the title has more emphasis than the author or subtitle. I made the title look the most important by using a bold and large font. Also, I put it at the top of the page, and with the subtitle right under the main title this chunking matter I think draws the eye further to the title. This layout just has a basic top to bottom layout, but the size and style of the font does matter to how quickly your eye travels down the page. For example: I first see “The Seagull” then “James Peach” THEN “A Novel About Flight."

3)      Some limitation I have had in lay outs is simply that I have too little or too much information I want to put onto a “cover” (as an example). A problem I think with traditional is that is sometimes can look to bare, but on the other hand a problem with a non-traditional format is that it might look to cluttered. It’s all a balancing act and depends on what you want to convey. I can’t come up with any ideas myself, but Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk is an example of a nontraditional layout. The cover is just of an upside down yellow bird. No title. No author. That more basic and traditional layout is put on the back cover. It’s an interesting style and it seems like the only way to understand the symbol is to read the book, which is the whole point of the cover.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not commenting on all these, but suffice it to say you did a fantastic job with them! Well done. I hope the terminology is useful to you in Project 2.

    ReplyDelete